National Workforce Data Set (NWD) guidance documents
These guidance documents have been produced for organisations that use the Electronic Staff Record (ESR) and/or employ NHS staff. They provide guidance on the use of key data items from the National Workforce Data set (NWD) to enable those using ESR to make informed coding decisions and improve data quality. They are intended to be 'living' documents which will be reviewed and updated as required, and we welcome feedback and ideas for development. If you wish to make comments or suggestions, or require further information please email email@example.com
A Guide to the Staff Group, Job Role and Area of Work classifications used in ESR
This document provides guidance on the usage of Staff Group, Job Role and Area of Work values as determined by the National Workforce Data set (NWD) and made available in the Electronic Staff Record (ESR) and other systems. This guidance has been developed from and replaces the ESR document 'A Guide to Job Roles, Staff Groups and Areas of Work' which was last published in August 2004.
This new document is intended as an enhanced guidance tool, containing basic information regarding the principles and definitions of the relevant values as well as contextual detail.
- A Guide to the Staff Group, Job Role and Area of Work classifications used in ESR v5.0_Final [296kb]
- Appendix A Staff Group Definitions v5.0 [50kb]
- Appendix B Job Role Definitions v5.0 [37kb]
- Appendix C Job Role-Staff Group Alphabetical List v5.0 [50kb]
- Appendix D Area of Work Aphabetical List v5.0 [49kb]
- Appendix E Area of Work Primary-Secondary-Tertiary Alphabetical List v5.0 [52kb]
Informatics Area of Work guidance
Using the Health Informatics Career Framework as a foundation, a new set of Area of Work values have been approved for use in the National Workforce Data set (NWD) by the Information Standards Board. This document provides guidance on how to apply the new values for those inputting records on ESR.
Occupation Code and Job Role Data Verifier
The ESR Central Team has developed a report which allows organisations to review and validate Occupation Code, Pay Grade and Job role combinations held within ESR.
The report is now available via ESR Business Intelligence (BI) reporting and an Excel version can be found using the link below for reference and guidance when creating new positions.
Both of these tools have been updated to include the new medical & dental pay grades (Oct 16)
A version of the report can also be found in the Data Warehouse to be used at a national level.
The BI Report should be used in conjunction with other available guidance to check that appropriate Occupation Code, Job Role and Pay Band combinations are allocated to Positions.
If you have any questions with regards to the Occupation Code to Job Role mapping used in the verifier please contact the Workforce team at NHS Digital via firstname.lastname@example.org quoting 'Occupation Code Verifier' in your subject line.
Healthcare Science Guidance Document
The values for Healthcare Science (HCS) have recently changed and all organisations that employ Healthcare Science staff will need to audit and amend their records on ESR accordingly. These new HCS classifications were introduced into ESR in release 21 at the end of December 2013 and the old values will no longer be available for selection. The new classifications should be applied to existing Positions as soon as possible and with effect from 1st January 2014. The HSCIC will be monitoring the uptake of the new coding scheme from March 2014 until it is fully implemented.
More detail regarding the changes to the ESR in response to these updates to the data standard are available in UN1828, available through ESR Kbase.
Two guidance documents have been published to help with this process;
1) The Healthcare Science Indicative Job Title Guidance document. This contains a list of indicative Job Titles which reflect roles undertaken in Healthcare Science and the recommended Job Role, Area of Work and Occupation Code values.
2) The Guide to Healthcare Science Workforce Classifications used in ESR. This contains guidance on the usage of Staff Group, Job Role, Area of Work and Occupation Code values for Healthcare Science staff as determined by the National Workforce Data Set (NWD) and made available in the Electronic Staff Record (ESR) and other systems. It is intended to tie together all other elements of the guidance and we particularly welcome comments on this document which can be incorporated into future updates.
These guidance documents are intended to be 'living' documents which will be reviewed and updated as required. The HSCIC welcomes any comments, questions and suggestions for additions to these documents. Please get in touch with the HSCIC Workforce team via email@example.com quoting 'Healthcare Science Guidance documents' in your subject line.