One billion visits to NHS Choices website
October 27, 2014: NHS Choices, the UK's largest health website, reached one billion visits since its launch in 2007.
*HSCIC and NHS Choices must be quoted as the source of these figures
NHS Choices1 provides a comprehensive health information service to enable patients and the public to take control of their health. It helps people make choices about their health, whether about smoking, drinking and exercise or finding and using NHS services in England. NHS Choices is managed by the Health and Social Care Information Centre (HSCIC).2
The website features 20,000 regularly updated articles and received 29 million more visits between January and October 2014 (389 million overall) than in all 12 months of 2013 (360 million visits). This equates to a daily average in 2014 of 1.39 million compared to 989,000 in 2013 and 535,000 in 2012.
Other key facts on visits to NHS Choices include:
- The number of weekly visits reached a new record of 10.9 million visits for the period 06 to12 October 2014. This was a 30 per cent increase in visits compared to the same period last year and unique visitors increased by 9 per cent to 8.2 million visitors.3
- Over half of visits (58 per cent) have been for articles on treatments and conditions
- In 2014 visits to articles on pregnancy and baby health increased three-fold compared to visits in 2012 (28.6 million compared to 8.3 million
- There have been over 400,000 downloads of the BMI app4 since it was first introduced and between January and October 2014 the BMI healthy weight calculator was started over 9.5 million times.
- Since 2010 there have been over 18.0 million clicks across all healthy weight calculator tools.
- Videos on NHS Choices have been viewed almost 4.2 million times since January 2014
- There have been around 6.4 million downloads of the Moodzone mental health podcasts which offer users practical and interactive information on coping with stress, anxiety or depression.
- The Change4Life Couch to 5k app5 was downloaded about 230,000 downloads to Android and iOS devices.
NHS Choices Director of Delivery Cleveland Henry said:
"Since 2007 members of the public have used our website to help them find services and trusted health information.
"We remain more committed than ever to delivering the needs of the public through digital healthcare information and aspire for the website to become a world-leading, multi-channel service and front door for digital health."
Notes to editors
1. NHS Choices is the UK's biggest health website. It provides a comprehensive health information service to help put you in control of your healthcare. The website helps you make choices about your health, from decisions about your lifestyle, such as smoking, drinking and exercise, to finding and using NHS services in England. NHS Choices includes more than 20,000 regularly updated articles. There are also hundreds of thousands of entries in more than 50 directories that you can use to find, choose and compare health services in England.
2. The Health and Social Care Information Centre (HSCIC) was established on April 1 2013 as an Executive Non Departmental Public Body (ENDPB). It is England's trusted data source, delivering high quality information and IT systems to drive better patient services, care and outcomes. Its work includes publishing more than 220 statistical publications annually; providing a range of specialist data services; managing informatics projects and programmes and developing and assuring national systems against appropriate contractual, clinical safety and information standards.
3. Unique visitors are visitors accessing any part of the site depending on whether they have accepted cookies on their device. If a user deletes or does not accept cookies then they will be counted as a unique visitor with each visit to NHS Choices. Different users using a shared device where cookies have been accepted will be counted as one visitor.
4. The Body Mass Index (BMI) healthy weight calculator enables users to monitor their weight and their child's weight and provides practical weight loss information for adults and children. The BMI app can be downloaded to iOS devices.
5. The Change4Life Couch to 5K app is designed for beginners to exercise. It provides exercise advice to enable users to run 5K within nine weeks.
6. Percentage figures have been rounded to the nearest whole per cent. Figures over one million have been rounded to the nearest 100,000.
7. For media enquires please call 0300 30 33 888 or email firstname.lastname@example.org