Provisional Monthly Hospital Episode Statistics for Admitted Patient Care, Outpatients and Accident and Emergency Data - April 2013 to November 2013
Hospital Episodes Statistics (HES) is a data warehouse containing records of all patients admitted to NHS hospitals in England. It contains details of inpatient care, outpatient appointments and A&E attendance records. The Kennedy report recommended that HES should be "supported as a major national resource for the monitoring of a range of healthcare outcomes".
Hospital Episode Statistics are produced and published on a monthly basis. This data is provisional and should therefore be treated as an estimate until the final National Statistics annual publications.
In the year from December 2012 to November 2013 there were:
- 17.8 million finished consultant episodes (FCEs), 60.5 per cent (10.7 million) of which included at least one procedure or ntervention, and 6.2 million of which were day cases.
- 15.1 million finished admission episodes (FAEs), of which 5.3 million were emergency admissions.
- 97.3 million outpatient appointments made, with 77.9 million (80 per cent) of these attended by the patient.
- 7.0 million outpatient appointments not attended by the patient, representing 7.2 per cent of all appointments.
- 18.2 million A&E attendances recorded in A&E HES of which 3.8 million (20.7 per cent) resulted in admission to hospital for inpatient treatment. 3.5 million (19.4 per cent) resulted in a GP follow up, and 7.1 million (38.8 per cent) were discharged with no