Provisional Monthly Hospital Episode Statistics for Admitted Patient Care, Outpatients and Accident and Emergency Data - April 2013 to January 2014
Hospital Episodes Statistics (HES) is a data warehouse containing records of all patients admitted to NHS hospitals in England. It contains details of inpatient care, outpatient appointments and A&E attendance records.
Hospital episode statistics (HES) statistics are produced and published on a monthly basis. These data are provisional and should therefore be treated as an estimate until the final National Statistics annual publications.
- 17.9 million finished consultant episodes (FCEs), 60.5 per cent (10.8 million) of which included at least one procedure or intervention, and 6.2 million of which were day cases.
- 15.2 million finished admission episodes (FAEs), of which 5.3 million were emergency admissions.
- 99.1 million outpatient appointments made, with 79.6 million (80.3 per cent) of these attended by the patient.
- 7.0 million outpatient appointments not attended by the patient, representing 7.1 per cent of all appointments.
- 18.2 million A&E attendances recorded in A&E HES of which 3.8 million (20.9 per cent) resulted in admission to hospital for admitted patient care. 3.5 million (19.3 per cent) resulted in a GP follow up, and 7.0 million (38.6 per cent) were discharged with no follow up.