Provisional Monthly Hospital Episode Statistics for Admitted Patient Care, Outpatients and Accident and Emergency Data - April 2016 to July 2016
Hospital Episodes Statistics (HES) is a data warehouse containing records of all patients admitted to NHS hospitals in England. It contains details of inpatient care, outpatient appointments and A&E attendance records.
Hospital episode statistics (HES) statistics are produced and published on a monthly basis. This data is provisional and should therefore be treated as an estimate until the final National Statistics annual publications.
• 19.3 million finished consultant episodes (FCEs), 59.8 per cent (11.5 million) of which included at least one procedure or
intervention, and 6.9 million of which were day cases.
• 16.3 million finished admission episodes (FAEs), of which 5.8 million were emergency admissions.
In the year from August 2015 to July 2016 there were:
• 113.9 million outpatient appointments made, with 89.8 million (78.8 per cent) of these attended by the patient.
• 7.6 million outpatient appointments not attended by the patient, representing 6.6 per cent of all appointments.
• 20.8 million A&E attendances recorded in A&E HES of which 4.2 million (20.1 per cent) resulted in admission to hospital for
admitted patient care. 4.1 million (19.8 per cent) resulted in a GP follow up, and 7.7 million (37.1 per cent) were discharged with
no follow up.
diagnoses) coverage. 10.2 per cent more procedures and 11.9 per cent more diagnoses were coded in the HES data
submitted to SUS (Month 04) - the extract used for this publication - compared to the HES data submitted to
SUS by (Month 03) - the extract used for the previous publication. We accordingly recommend extra caution
using clinical codes for the most recent months data.