Hospital Episode Statistics, Admitted Patient Care - England, 2006-07 [NS]
Hospital Episodes Statistics (HES) is a data warehouse containing records of all patients admitted to NHS hospitals in England. It contains details of more than 14 million episodes of patient care (finished consultant episodes) per year.
The Kennedy report recommended that HES should be "supported as a major national resource for the monitoring of a range of healthcare outcomes.
- A decrease in average length of stay from 6.6 days to 6.3 days between 2005-06 and 2006-07, which continues a long term trend.
- Common procedures in 2006-07 include
- 289,590 cataract operations - 0.8 per cent more than 2005-06
- 89,254 hip replacement operations 4.9 per cent more than 2005-06
- 21,596 coronary artery bypass grafts (CABGs) - 1.2 per cent more than 2005-06
- 59,769 percutaneous transluminal operations on the coronary artery (PTCAs) 7.7 per cent more than 2005-06
- The average (mean) time waited decreased between 2005-06 and 2006-07 from 78 days to 73 days, and the median time waited decreased from 51 to 49 days.
The report findings can be found on the Hospital Episode Statistics (HES) website, where you will now be redirected to.